Sprinkles make everything better! It’s time to switch things up and add a little fun to your mornings with Funfetti Pancakes! Learn how easy it is to give homemade pancake mix an upgrade with sprinkles and frosting to create a tasty and colorful breakfast treat.
It’s party time here on Inspired by Charm, and we are celebrating with Funfetti Pancakes. You might remember that a couple of months ago I shared my recipe for homemade pancake mix. That has been my go-to pancake recipe since I ran my bed and breakfast back in the 2000s.
Today, I thought we’d take that pancake mix recipe and kick it up a notch with the help of sprinkles, frosting, and a few other ingredients.
The result: festive and flavorful pancakes that are perfect for a birthday or holiday. Served up with some of my other favorite brunch recipes. These pancakes can also make the most ordinary of mornings memorable.
I used rainbow sprinkles, but you could switch up the sprinkle colors to suit a particular holiday, event, or sports team. The color of the sprinkles is up to you.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The colorful sprinkles add a pop of whimsy to your plate. Imagine digging into a stack of pancakes that look like a party – who wouldn’t want to start their day that way?
- The texture of these pancakes is unlike any other. The sprinkles don’t just bring a dash of color – they also add a slight sweet crunch that’s oh-so-satisfying.
- The versatility of this recipe means you can customize your pancakes to suit your taste. Want a little extra sweetness? Add more sprinkles! Prefer a fluffier texture? Adjust the amount of baking powder. The possibilities are endless.
First off, you’re going to need my Homemade Pancake Mix. (You can also use your own favorite dry pancake mix.) This is a dry mix that you’ll use to make the batter for the Funfetti Pancakes. My recipe makes enough dry mix for several batches of pancakes. The extra mix can be stored in the pantry. That way it will be handy anytime you get a craving for pancakes.
Other ingredients you’ll need include:
- melted butter
- vanilla extract
- almond extract
For the frosting, you can use your favorite homemade frosting or store-bought. I personally recommend my homemade cream cheese frosting if you’re looking for a quick, easy, and delicious recipe.
How To Make
I will walk you through the process of making these festive funfetti pancakes.. For your convenience, I’ve also provided a full ingredient list and detailed instructions in the printable recipe card below.
- Start by preparing your dry homemade pancake mix.
- To prepare the pancake batter, add buttermilk, milk, egg, melted butter, vanilla extract, and almond extract to a medium bowl. Whisk together to combine. Add 1 cup of the prepared dry mix. Stir until just combined. Let the mixture sit for 1-2 minutes before cooking.
- Just before cooking, gently mix in the sprinkles. Avoid overmixing as the color from the sprinkles can change the color of the batter.
- Set the griddle on medium-low heat. Brush with butter and allow the butter to . (Optional: Remove excess butter with a paper towel.)
- Pour 1/4 cup* of the batter onto the hot buttered griddle. (I love this stovetop griddle if you’re curious about the one I’m using. Cook each pancake until bubbles form on the top and the bottom is golden. (This will take 4-5 minutes.) Flip the pancakes and cook for about 2 more minutes until golden.
- Serve with melted frosting, butter, and pure maple syrup.
As you can see, I served my Funfetti Pancakes with a big dollop of melted frosting, extra sprinkles, and a sparkler. It makes for a great photo!
For the frosting, use whatever variety you like. (Here, I used some of My Favorite Cream Cheese Frosting that I had left from another cooking adventure.) Microwave the frosting in a bowl at 30-second intervals until it’s the right consistency for drizzling.
However, if all of that seems a bit much, you can just drizzle on frosting and a little maple syrup like I did below.
More Topping Ideas
While frosting and maple syrup are delicious topping options, consider experimenting with different toppings to add even more fun and whimsy to your meal.
- Try adding some chopped fruit like strawberries or blueberries to your pancakes for a burst of freshness.
- You could also drizzle some warm Nutella over your pancakes for a sweet and decadent flavor.
- For those who prefer a savory twist, try spreading some peanut butter and honey on top of your pancakes for a delicious and protein-packed breakfast.
If you’re feeling adventurous and want to switch up the classic Funfetti pancake recipe, there are plenty of variations to try.
- For a healthier twist, you can substitute the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour or almond flour. Adding a teaspoon of cinnamon to the batter will give your pancakes a warm, comforting flavor.
- For a more indulgent option, you could add some chocolate chips to your batter.
- If you’re a fan of fruity flavors, you can add a mashed banana to your batter or swap out the sprinkles for fresh berries.
- For a tropical twist, try adding shredded coconut or diced pineapple to your pancakes.
No matter what variation you choose, these Funfetti pancakes are a fun and creative way to start your day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a different type of flour for this recipe?
Yes, you can. All-purpose flour will work just fine, but you can also use whole wheat flour or a gluten-free flour blend.
Can I make these pancakes ahead of time?
Yes, you can. You can make the batter the night before and keep it in the refrigerator until morning. Or, you can make the pancakes and keep them warm in a low-temperature oven until you’re ready to serve them.
Do I need to use a non-stick pan to make these pancakes?
ANo, you don’t. While a non-stick pan will make it easier to flip the pancakes, you can use any type of pan as long as you grease it well.
How can I make these pancakes healthier?
You can try using a lower sugar pancake mix or using mashed bananas or applesauce instead of the oil. You can also add in some extra protein by adding in some Greek yogurt or protein powder.
More Funfetti Treats You Will Love
These Funfetti Pancakes are a delicious, colorful, and unique treat that’s ideal for any special celebration. I know you’re going to enjoy them! If you do, please consider leaving a comment and a 5-star rating below. It’s always appreciated.
Want more from Inspired by Charm? Join the IBC Mailing List for inspiration in your inbox! Follow along on Instagram and TikTok for daily updates and behind-the-scenes looks at my processes. There’s even more inspiration on Facebook and Pinterest!
- 1 cup homemade dry pancake mix The recipe is linked in the Notes below.
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
- Frosting and maple syrup for garnish
To prepare the pancake batter, add buttermilk, milk, egg, melted butter, vanilla extract, and almond extract to a medium bowl. Whisk together to combine. Add 1 cup of the prepared dry mix. Stir until just combined. Let the mixture sit for 1-2 minutes before cooking.
Just before cooking, gently mix in the sprinkles. Avoid overmixing as the color from the sprinkles can change the color of the batter.
Set the griddle on medium-low heat. Brush with butter and allow the butter to melt. (Optional: Remove excess butter with a paper towel.)
Pour 1/4 cup* of the batter onto the hot buttered griddle. Cook each pancake until bubbles form on the top and the bottom is golden. (This will take 4-5 minutes.) Flip the pancakes and cook for about 2 more minutes until golden.
Serve with melted frosting, butter, and pure maple syrup.
*1/4 cup of batter makes a 3-inch pancake. You can create a larger or smaller pancake by adjusting the amount of batter you pour on the griddle.
Calories: 94kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 100mg | Potassium: 64mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 131IU | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 1mg